A citizenry that votes and remains engaged in their country’s democratic and political processes are key to democracy.
CFUW’s resolution process and ongoing advocacy for the issues we care about are important ways of participating in democracy. In recent years however, CFUW has also adopted resolutions specifically on democratic issues such as increasing voter turnout and critiquing the Fair Elections Act, adopted by the Government of Canada in 2014.
See some of our letters & actions:
- Letter to Minister Monsef re: Government response to the findings of the Electoral Reform Committee, December 2016
- Letter to the Electoral Reform Committee, July 27 2016
- Letter to Minister Poilievre re: Bill C-23, the Fair Elections Act – April 2014
- Brief on Electoral Reform
- Electoral Reform Fact Sheet
- Dossier sur Réforme électorale
- Réforme électorale: Les Faits
What can you do?
- Suggested Actions: Preservation of Democracy: Increasing Voter Turnout
- Keep your elected representatives accountable to their constituents. Contact them about the issues you care about: