Special General Meeting
CANADIAN FEDERATION OF UNIVERSITY WOMEN (CFUW)
NOTICE OF SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING, AUGUST 8, 2020
The August 8, 2020 CFUW Special General Meeting (SGM) will take place
electronically from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. PACIFIC (1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
EASTERN). This electronic meeting will be webcast over the internet.
Notice of the August 8, 2020 CFUW Special General Meeting and business to be
transacted is hereby provided, and this notice meets the requirement of the
Canada Not for Profit Corporations Act, to do so not less than 21 and not more
than 60 days prior to the Special General Meeting.
- Proposed Standing Rules – The SGM proposed standing rules can be found on
the CFUW admin website. The SGM proposed agenda includes only those items
postponed from the CFUW Annual General Meeting June 19-20, 2020. At a Special
Meeting, additions to the agenda are not permitted.
- Organization of SGM – In addition to the motions required to form the assembly—
adoption of the credentials report, adoption of the standing rules and adoption of the
agenda, the following items will be dealt with on August 8, 2020:
– Resolution 1: Canada Health Act and Common Application of Medically
– Resolution 2: Payday Loans
– Resolution 3: Achieving the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to
– Resolution 4: Climate Emergency—Declarations and Action Plans
– Resolution 5: Protecting Children from Exposure and Access to Pornography
and Sexual Violence on the Internet
– Resolution 6: Enforcement of the Protection of Communities and Exploited
– Emergency Resolution 1: Long-Term Care Under the Canada health Act—
– Emergency Resolution 2: Long-Term Care: Protect the Vulnerable
– Nepean motion to increase dues by $5.00;
– The Ottawa motion calling for a deficit reduction plan and provision of quarterly
– report on Mediation Working Group;
– report from Past President Grace Hollett
– report from CFUW Executive Director Robin Jackson
Click here for the agenda
- Voting Platform – delegates will need to have access to the internet via pc, ios, or
android device. Test your system capabilities here. Similar to the June 19-20, 2020
AGM, voting will be conducted through an internet voting platform.
- Web Cast and Voting training sessions will be offered for voting and non-voting
delegates at the end of July. The dates and times will be published in an upcoming
Advisory. It is recommended that voting delegates attend a training session. Nonvoting delegates will also benefit from attending a session.
- Advisories – notifications on how to access the webcast and any additional SGM
materials will be circulated in the Advisories and posted on the public and Member
Resource websites under AGM/SGM 2020 as soon as available.
- Voting Body—the CFUW Voting Body consists of credentialed Club delegates
and Proxy holders. As of March 2020, members of the CFUW board of directors,
Regional Directors and Past Presidents do not vote at a CFUW Annual or Special
- Credentials – Credentials from the June 19-20, 2020 AGM will be used for the
SGM. Unless your club will be represented by a different voting delegate, there is
no need to fill out the credentials form again. If needed (for a different delegate
only) the credentials form can be accessed here. Send completed forms to Betty
Dunlop at email@example.com by July 17, 2020. It will be assumed that the
voting delegate for August 8, 2020 is the same person unless we hear to the
- Questions—If you have any questions, please contact Robin Jackson, ED at firstname.lastname@example.org OR, if the question is of a parliamentary nature, please contact Elizabeth Haynes, the Parliamentarian, at email@example.com .