Graduate Women International
Graduate Women International (GWI) is an international network linking women graduates from all cultures, all fields of study, all professions and all generations. GWI has national affiliates in 62 countries, including CFUW, and individual members in more than 40 others.
It has recently changed its name from the International Federation of University Women (IFUW) to Graduate Women International (GWI).
GWI was founded in 1919 after World War I by women graduates who believed in the importance of working together for peace, international understanding and friendship.
Today their mission is to:
- promote lifelong education for women and girls; promote international cooperation, friendship, peace and respect for human rights for all, irrespective of their gender, age, race, nationality, religion, political opinion, gender and sexual orientation or other status; advocate for the advancement of the status of women and girls; and
- encourage and enable women and girls to apply their knowledge and skills in leadership and decision-making in all forms of public and private life.
They provide a global voice for women graduates, working for the adoption and implementation of international agreements that will protect and benefit all women and girls.
Members volunteer their expertise in a wide-range of community projects, such as:
- literacy and vocational training programmes
- free medical and legal clinics
- programmes to prevent domestic violence
- campaigns to increase women’s awareness of their rights and to promote women’s participation in the political process
GWI also offers numerous conferences, seminars and workshops that provide opportunities to discuss global issues from an interdisciplinary perspective.
CFUW-GWI Memorandum of Understanding
On July 16, 2019, CFUW and GWI signed a Memorandum of Understanding.
Click here for the National President’s message announcing the agreement
Click here for the Memorandum of Understanding
GWI and CFUW Correspondence on Categories of Membership
- Letter of June 19, 2018 from GWI in reply to Cheryl Hayles’ Letter of June 15, 2018
- Letter of June 15, 2018 from Cheryl Hayles to GWI
- Letter of May 15, 2018 from GWI to CFUW re two categories of membership
GWI 33rd Triennial, Centenary Celebration and Conference
- Letter to Presidents and CIRs announcing the 2019 General Assembly and Conference
- Conference Concept Flyer
- Triennial and Centenary Celebration Summary
- The GWI Board of Officers invites members of National Federations and Associations (NFAs), and Independent Members to nominate qualified, experienced candidates for positions on the GWI Board, GWI Standing and Special Committees, and as Assistant Treasurers
- For more information, and for access to the nominations form, please click here.
- Submissions are due by Thursday, February 21, 2019, and can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
GWI Ad Hoc Committee
- GWI response to lawyer’s letter November 09 2017
- Lawyer’s letter of October 26, 2017 to GWI
- Lawyer’s Letter of November 6, 2017 to CFUW Members
- Click here for the GWI Official Results of Online Vote October 23-24, 2017
- Click here for the final results of the Votes on the GWI proposed fee increase
- Click here for the GWI Ad Hoc Committee June 3 2017 Announcement on Objectives and Members.
- Click here for the GWI Ad Hoc Committee Recommendations on the Dues Increase
GWI Financial Information
- PKF Audit Support Letter and Final Audit 2016
- Enclosures 1.2 2.1 balance sheet and Rev and Exp Q3 2017
- Financial Statement Dec 31 2016
- GWI Monthly Report 2017_January
- GWI Monthly Report 2017 February
- GWI Monthly Report 2017 March
- GWI Monthly Report 2017 April
- 2015 2016 Movement in Restricted Funds
- GWI Response to CFUW Questions – May 24 2017
- Grace to Geeta Questions for 30 May 2017.pdf
- Bev Rhodes Note on GWI Updated June 2 2017.pdf
- Analysis by Bev Rhodes June 2017
- C Tworo Comments on GWI Financials June 5 2017
- GWI Presidents Response to CFUW Presidents Questions June 16 2017 re Clinton Initiative
- C Tworo comments on financial information provided by GWI in November 9 2017 correspondence
- Bev Rhodes comments on financial information provided by GWI in November 9 2017 correspondence
GWI Annual Report
- You can access the GWI Annual Report here
GWI 32nd Triennial Conference
- Click here for the reports on the 2016 GWI Triennial Assembly and Conference
- View the 2017-2019 GWI Strategic plan
- View the GWI A Year at a Glance- 2016/2017
- Visit GWI’s website for more information.
- View the GWI’s 2015 KPMG Audited Financial report
- View the GWI’s 2015 Financial report
- View the GWI’s 2014 annual report
- View the IFUW’s 2013 Annual report
- View GWI Updates and newsletter
GWI Action Plan for 2017-2019 and Triennial Budgets
- Click here to view the 2016 GWI Constitution as accepted by the General Assembly August 2016
GWI President’s Messages
- Click here for the July 24, 2017 Message from GWI President Geeta Desai
- Click here for the Clinton Global Initiative Pledge description
- Click here for the January 17, 2017 Message from GWI President Geeta Desai
Donations by Clubs to Bina Roy, Hegg Hoffett and Virginia Glidersleeve International Funds
WGI has informed CFUW that they can no longer accept cheques from Clubs for donations to Bina Roy, Hegg Hoffett and/or Virginia Glidersleeve as the Swiss banks have made cashing cheques from outside the country very expensive and difficult to do. WGI will accept Paypal and bank transfers to the attention of Graduate Women International.
Alternatively, and to avoid direct costs, it is suggested that that the donation cheques be made out to CFUW and sent to Suite 502-331 Cooper Street, Ottawa K2P 0G5 indicating to which Fund the money should be directed.
Once a year, the National Office sends bank transfers with all donations received for the year to each of the Funds. As there is a transaction fee to be paid to convert the monies into Swiss Francs in the case of the Bina Roy and Hegg Hoffett funds, and into American dollars for the Virginia Glidersleeve Fund, it is less costly for everyone involved if National office does it for all the donations at once.